National medal winning squad up for City of Kelowna's award as top team for 2016.
KELOWNA, BC - Although the 2016-17 season ended just a few weeks ago for the Heat women's volleyball team the 2015-16 version of the team that captured the school's first ever CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport - now named U Sports) national medal with a bronze finish at the national championship in Brandon, MB in March of 2016 has been nominated as a finalist for the 2016 the City of Kelowna Team of the Year.
This 15/16 team is the team that is up for the Bryan Couling Memorial Award, at the upcoming Civic and Community Awards on Thursday, May 10, 2017. The annual honour is awarded to the Kelowna based team (amateur or professional) who brought the greatest amount of recognition to Kelowna in 2016.
The other two finalists, announced on March 20, 2017, are: The Kelowna Mission Junior Bantam Lions Football Team and the Kelowna Senior Secondary Owls, Senior Boys Basketball Team.
A UBC Okanagan Heat team is nominated as a a finalists for the Couling award, after having a finalist for seven straight years from 2008-2014, with UBC Okanagan winning three to date.
- 2008 - UBC Okanagan men's volleyball team | Winner
- 2009 - UBC Okanagan Heat women's volleyball team | Winner
- 2010 - UBC Okanagan Heat women's volleyball team | Winner
- 2011 - UBC Okanagan men's volleyball team | Finalist
- 2012 - UBC Okanagan women's golf team | Finalist
- 2013 - UBC Okanagan women's cross country team | Finalist
- 2014 - UBC Okanagan Heat women's volleyball team | Finalist
- 2016 - UBC Okanagan Heat women's volleyball team