Updated: April 12, 2019
In late January, Campus Security received reports of a person approaching women, engaging in harassing behaviour and making inappropriate comments. The individual was served with a no-trespass order and removed from campus, and has not been reported on campus since those incidents.
If approached in a harassing or inappropriate manner by anyone, contact Campus Security at 250 807 8111, local 78111 from any office telephone on campus, or from the blue emergency security telephones.
Campus Security takes the safety and security of our entire campus – visitors, residents, students, staff and faculty – very seriously and is committed to working with the community to create a safe and caring environment.
The campus community is encouraged to be aware of their surroundings and contribute to campus safety and security. Please keep the following security tips top of mind.
If you live in campus residence
- Lock it up - when you leave and when you are sleeping. Each time you leave and when you are sleeping, lock your unit and room door, plus any accessible windows.
- Don't hold the door open for strangers. Please don't let people follow you into a locked residence building. If they have permission to be there, they will have their own key - or a host.
- Stop before you prop. Never prop open a building door, even if you are stepping outside for just a moment.
On campus after dark
- Trust your instincts. If you feel like you're in danger or if you witness suspicious activity, call 9-1-1, then contact Campus Security. Emergency calls to Campus Security, 250 807 8111 or local 78111, can be made from any office telephone on campus and from the blue emergency security telephones located strategically around campus.
- Walk with a friend, fellow resident or classmate.
- Make use of the 24-hour campus security Safewalk Service by calling 250 807 8076 or by visiting the Campus Security dispatch office in the Admin Building.
There are resources on campus if you want to talk, get support or want information about reporting to UBC or police.
- The Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office (SVPRO) has a 24/7 crisis line - 250 807 9640 and the office is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Nicola Townhome 120; 1270 International Mews).
- Health and Wellness Counselling (UNC 337) is available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and can be reached at 250 807 9270.
Campus Security (ADM 104 -- 24/7 office) can be reached at 250 807 8111 (emergency) and 250 807 9236 (non-emergency).