Six acclaimed Canadian artists will visit UBC Okanagan this spring for the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies (FCCS) Visiting Artists Series. Artists and art lovers in the community are invited to attend the exciting guest lectures, starting later this month with Krisjanis Kaktins-Gorsline, a young painter from Winnipeg.
On Thursday, January 21, at 6 p.m. in ART 103 (the Arts building lecture theatre at UBC Okanagan), Kaktins-Gorsline will talk about his paintings, drawings, and prints. His jarring, fragmented, and complex mixed-genre paintings have been shown at Galerie Simon Blaise, Montreal; Katherine Mulherin Contemporary Art Projects, Toronto; Deitch Studios, Long Island City, NY; and Heather James Fine Art, Palm Desert, California. His work has also been shown at Scope Art Fairs in Basel, Switzerland, Miami and New York. Kaktins-Gorsline has an Master of Fine Arts degree from Columbia University.
The following artists will appear in the upcoming weeks:
- January 28, 6 p.m. — Daniel Jolliffe, media and visual artist whose interactive works and technology-based art projects have been shown across Canada, the United States and internationally.
- February 4, 6 p.m. — Heather Passmore, whose conceptually based practice explores the politics of taste, class and art using a variety of processes including digital and slide projections, painting, drawing, photography, sewing, and hand-cut stencils.
- February 25, 6 p.m. — Roja Aslani, a UBC Okanagan Bachelor of Fine Arts alumnus with a master’s degree in sculpture from the Edinburgh College of Art.
- March 4, 6 p.m. — Isabelle Pauwels, who works in video and conceptual audio-visual installation exploring the intersection of documentary realism with the artifice of staging.
- March 25, 6 p.m. — Pierre Hébert, an independent filmmaker and performance artist. His latest performance project “Only the hand…” was presented as a 12-screen multilingual video installation last December in Montreal.
All six talks are in Arts building ART 103 at UBC Okanagan. Admission is free and open to the public. The FCCS Visiting Artists Series is sponsored by the Faculty of Creative Critical Studies at UBC Okanagan.
Contact Renay Egami at 250-807-9764 or email@example.com for more information.
— 30 —