The Okanagan Senate is regularly passing important items. To better inform the campus community, highlights of these items will be posted on the Senate website following each scheduled meeting. Highlights from the May 19 meeting include:
- Degrees and diplomas were conferred to over 1,000 candidates
- Established the School of Health and Exercise Sciences within the Faculty of Health and Social Development, pending approval of the Board of Governors.
- New student awards, totaling $9,000, were approved. Awards include a series of awards offered by the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia.
- Revisions were approved for the Elementary Teacher Education Program and the Secondary Teacher Education Program’s French education specialty.
- Changes were approved for the Bachelor of Social Work and the Master of Social Work to comply with new regulations requiring a criminal record check through the Solicitor General of B.C.
- New courses and one new program were approved for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences: EESC 436/GEOG 436, PSYO 451, PSYO 462 and the BSc combined major in physics and mathematics
- An update was received on 26 new Grade 12 courses approved for use in the calculation of an admission average for students applying to UBC’s Okanagan campus in 2012 and beyond.
To find out more about these Senate highlights contact Nathalie Hager, acting manager of the Okanagan Senate Secretariat, at 250-807-9619.