- UBC’s Okanagan campus has achieved new student enrolment targets for many programs, including Human Kinetics, Nursing and Engineering.
- The most significant growth is in Human Kinetics, 219 new students, up 54 per cent over 2010; Management, 231 students, up 27 per cent; and Engineering, 276 new students, up 20 per cent.
- The School of Nursing builds on its foundation of community engagement and global development work as it admits its biggest class ever of 122 first-year students and starts a partnership for nursing education with Okanagan College. The School of Nursing also continues its community development work in Ghana and Zambia with student practice placements and will build on its faculty development and collaboration with the Royal Institute of Nursing in Batala, Punjab, India.
- The School of Social Work provides all students the opportunity to integrate academic classroom education with practical supervised professional work within community agencies, clinics, and other helping organizations.
- The Faculty of Management offers a Master of Management Program, developed under an alliance with the Sauder School of Business at UBC’s Vancouver campus.
- The largest faculty on campus, the Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Science, adds to its educational depth and academic expertise with the introduction of two new programs: a clinical graduate program in psychology and a combined major in mathematics and physics.
- The Faculty of Education’s new Centre for Research on Mindful Engagement is a transformative learning resource for students to develop approaches to teaching critical thinking, scientific, mathematical and historical thinking as well as various understandings of literacy as related to mindful engagement.
- The College of Graduate Studies’ new program offerings include sustainability and university teaching.
- Diversity on campus has grown tremendously, as 78 nations are represented by students attending from around the globe and an International Collegia space overlooking the Okanagan Valley officially opens this fall.
More information about individual faculties, deans, schools, new academic staff and other information can be found at:
- Psychology post-grad, math-physics major now offered at Irving K. Barber School
- New dean to lead growing College of Graduate Studies
- Learn to expect the unexpected
- Teaching and learning a life-long pursuit
- Engineering students move in to new facility
- Combined programs take interdisciplinary approach to health, exercise study
- Master of Management offered for first time
- New and innovative opportunities in nursing education
- Doctors-in-training arrive at UBC’s Okanagan campus
- Heat ready for the big leagues of university sport