The Facilities Management Dept. has been busy sweeping snow from walkways and parking lots while depositing ice-melt and sand to prevent slips and falls. Slips and falls are major cause of injury not only on the UBC campus but in all parts of the city.
Areas are prioritized according to high traffic areas, terrain (stairs, inclines, etc), and areas with past history of incidents/accidents. Facilities Management personnel will also immediately respond to reports of slippery areas. Contact the Facilities Management office at 250-807-9272 or email@example.com to report slippery areas.
Health Safety and Environment and Facilities Management would like to highlight strategies pedestrians can use to prevent falling victim (no pun intended) to slippery conditions. Here are a few tips to help you stay upright during the winter season:
- Adjust your gait – Shorten your stride length to keep your centre of gravity more within your base of support (feet).
- Slow down – Take slow, deliberate steps and be on the lookout for icy spots.
- Balance your load – Consider donning a backpack. Backpacks keep your load closer to your centre of gravity.
- Wear appropriate footwear – Footwear with a thick rubber or non-slip sole is recommended.
- Entering/exiting your vehicle – Take care when stepping into/out of your car as you are usually off balance and on only one foot.