The Okanagan Senate regularly passes important items that impact the campus community. To help keep employees connected, highlights of these items are posted on the Senate website following each scheduled meeting.
Highlights from the May 16 meeting
- Over 1,200 candidates were approved for degrees at the graduation ceremonies in June.
- $9,000 in new awards for students was approved
- The pre-pharmacy program will be discontinued, effective for the 2014 winter session
- Jan Cioe (Barber School), Miriam Grant (College of Graduate Studies), Dwayne Tannant (School of Engineering), and Paul van Donkelaar (School of Health and Exercise Sciences) were appointed to serve on the President’s Advisory Committee for the selection of a new Provost and Vice-Principal
- Approved the election of Senator Laura Patterson (School of Engineering) to serve on the Presidential Search Committee
Curriculum proposal approvals
- From the School of Engineering: revisions to the Engineering One curriculum, new and revised courses APSC 169, APSC 171, APSC 172, APSC 178, APSC 179, APSC 182, and APSC 183.
- From the Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences:
- New and revised courses were approved in biology, computer science, earth and environmental sciences, history, and mathematics.
- New programs in mathematics (minor), and gender and women’s studies (major).
- Revised honours programs in biology, ecology and evolutionary biology, microbiology, and zoology
- Revised history (minor) and mathematics and statistics (minor) programs
- From the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies:
- New courses in art history and visual culture, creative writing, English, Spanish, and visual arts
- New course code and associated new cross-listed courses in digital humanities (DIHU/ENGL)
- Revisions to the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts to include an Okanagan Language option
To find out more about any of these items, or to be added to the Senate What’s New email distribution list contact Associate Academic Governance Officer Nathalie Hager.