Facilities Management would like to remind all employees to check their office, lab, research space for electrical hazards.
The density of working areas is intensifying across campus and it is important to remember to keep all cords away from heat and water sources, and to use a properly rated power bar if multiple electrical connections are required.
And remember to:
- Never place cords under a carpet, staple, nail or tack them to the wall
- Do not break off or bypass the third prong of a plug
- Remember to pull on the plug, not the cord
- Ensure that appliances (e.g. portable heaters) bear the Canadian Standards Association seal.
- Keep appliances free from dust, lint and dirt.
To find out more, visit facilities.ok.ubc.ca/safety.