UBCO professors offer free classes and tips to create a professional portfolio
Artists interested in UBC Okanagan’s visual arts program are invited to attend a special class with a professor to learn about the program and find out how to put a portfolio together.
What: Portfolio Day at UBC Okanagan
When: Saturday, January 11, 10 to 11 a.m.
Where: Creative and Critical Studies building, UBC Okanagan campus, Kelowna
Portfolio Day is an opportunity for anyone interested in applying to UBCO’s Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) program to receive advice on assembling their entrance portfolio or obtain pre-approval for the portfolio requirement as part of their application to the program.
UBC Okanagan’s Portfolio Day is also a chance to talk to faculty and staff about program choices, meet and talk with current students, explore the campus and facilities, learn more about the application process, portfolio requirements and have questions answered.
Starting in January, the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies will also host a series of free workshops for prospective applicants. Led by professors from the program, these sessions provide the chance to learn more about a variety of subjects and media such as animation, drawing, creative writing and printmaking.
Creative Day workshops are a chance to find out more about our BFA program and facilities through fun, hands-on projects explains Visual Arts Professor Briar Craig.
“Creative Days provide students with a sense of what it’s like to take a class at university,” says Craig. “We hope participants will leave with something that they want to share with others.”
There are limited seats available for some of the workshops and pre-registration is encouraged. To register, contact Visual Arts Coordinator Katherine Pickering at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about the Bachelor of Fine Arts at UBC Okanagan, visit: fccs.ok.ubc.ca/degrees-programs/undergraduate-programs/fine-arts
Portfolio requirements are here: fccs.ok.ubc.ca/degrees-programs/undergraduate-programs/fine-arts/portfolio
Creative Day workshops
- January 11 at 10 a.m. to noon: Sculpture with David Doody
- January 18 from noon to 2 p.m.: Indigenous Centered Landscapes through Cyanotype with Tania Willard
- February 8 at 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Screen printing with Briar Craig
- March 7 from noon to 2 p.m.: Drawing with Patrick Lundeen
- March 21 from 10 a.m. to noon: Creative Writing with Nancy Holmes
- April 18 at 10 a.m. to noon: Tour of the BFA Student Exhibition with Andreas Rutkauskas
- May 30 at 10 a.m. to noon: Frame-by-frame Animation with Myron Campbell
- May 30 starting at noon to 2 p.m.: Performance Improvisation with Denise Kenney
- June 13 from noon to 2 p.m.: Life Drawing with Katherine Pickering