What: Second Annual Industrial Workshop on Composites Manufacturing
Who: Delegates from NASA Langley Research Centre; National Research Council-Automotive and Surface Transportation division; National Research Council-Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory; Canadian Light Source; Composites Innovation Centre, UBC X-ray Micro-Tomography Laboratory, and several local company members affiliated with the pan-western Composites Research Network (CRN).
Where: UBC Okanagan, Engineering, Management, Education Building, EME 2111, 1137 Alumni Ave., Kelowna
When: Wednesday, April 22, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Chair: Assoc. Prof. Abbas S. Milani, UBC School of Engineering
The Okanagan Node of the Composites Research Network at UBC’s School of Engineering is holding its second annual industrial workshop on composites manufacturing. The workshop promotes extensive research collaboration in the composite materials and manufacturing area, between UBC, the Network, industrial composites manufacturers, as well as prominent national and international research organizations such as National Research Council (Canada), and the U.S. space exploration agency, NASA.
Presentations for the workshop include:
- 10 a.m. -- Cara Leckey, research scientist from NASA, Langley, Virginia, will give a talk on Non-Destructive Evaluation for Aerospace Composites;
- 10:45 a.m. -- Jeffrey Cutler, chief industrial science officer at Canadian Light Source, will give a talk on Shining Light on the Art of Manufacturing Composite Materials;
- 11:30 a.m. -- Johanne Denault, senior research officer from National Research Council of Canada, will give a talk (via video conference) on Polymer Composites at NRC: From Materials to Structures;
- 1:30 p.m. -- Gordon Lacy, from Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory (Okanagan), will give a talk on Design and Fabrication of the DVA-1 Radio Antenna, a Prototype for the SKA;
- 2:15 p.m. -- Farzin Golkhosh, a PhD student from UBC’s Tomography Lab, will give a talk on the Power of Micro-Tomography for 3D Characterization and Modelling of Advanced Materials;
- 3 p.m. -- Bryn Crawford, from Composites Research Network will give a talk on Non-Destructive Testing of Process-Induced Defects and In-Situ Damage.
The second annual industrial workshop on composites manufacturing is free and open to the public. The workshop takes place Wednesday, April 22, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at UBC Okanagan, Engineering, Management and Education Building, EME 2111, 1137 Alumni Ave., Kelowna. Pay parking is available on campus.