Pioneering astronaut Dr. Roberta Bondar, global economist Dambisa Moyo and water scientist David Schindler will be recognized with UBC Centennial honorary degrees during UBC Okanagan’s graduation ceremonies June 9 and 10.
- Dr. Roberta Bondar, a physician and scientist, made history in 1992 as the first Canadian female astronaut and the first neurologist in space, aboard NASA’s space shuttle Discovery. She researched the effects on astronauts of spaceflight and re-adaptation to Earth’s gravity and made ground-breaking discoveries in space medicine. Bondar will receive an honorary Doctor of Science degree.
- Dambisa Moyo is a global economist and author who analyzes the macro economy and international affairs. Her work examines the interplay of international business and the global economy while highlighting the key opportunities for investment. She serves on the boards of numerous international companies and was named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by TIME Magazine.
- David Schindler is an internationally celebrated scientist who has led efforts to protect freshwater resources in Canada and around the world. His ground-breaking research has alerted governments and the public to the environmental effects of pollutants and climate change. Schindler will receive an honorary Doctor of Science degree.
UBC’s Vancouver graduation ceremonies from May 25 to June 1 will see 13 luminaries recognized with honorary UBC degrees:
• Four-time gold medal Olympic hockey player Hayley Wickenheiser
• Grammy-winning violin virtuoso James Ehnes
• Business leader and philanthropist Brandt Louie
• Internationally respected Vij’s restaurateurs Vikram Vij and Meera Dhalwala
• Beloved Le Chandail (The Hockey Sweater) author Roch Carrier
• Nobel-prize-winning physicist Arthur McDonald
• Respected journalist, author and commentator Chantal Hébert
• Corporate governance leader Stephen Jarislowsky
• Business leader and arts supporter Michael Koerner
• Eminent plant scientist Sanjaya Rajaram
• Inuit and Aboriginal champion Mary Simon
• Visionary medical scientist Dr. Calvin Stiller
UBC awards honorary degrees in recognition of substantial contributions to society at the provincial, national or international level.