For the past three years, Central Okanagan public schools and UBC Okanagan have partnered to host the Central Okanagan District Science Fair on campus.
Science fair organizers are continually looking for ways to strengthen and improve this partnership.
The 2017 science fair takes place Friday and Saturday, March 10 and 11.
The goal of the Science Fair is to connect and inspire young students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, to develop their skills as thinkers, collaborators, contributors, innovators, and lifelong learners.
With this in mind, how can UBC faculty and staff continue to help inspire these young scientists?
- Be a judge and or help recruit judges (Judging can be done generally or in specific science challenge areas (discovery, energy, environment, health, information, innovation, and resources)
- Be an authentic audience for the science fair students
- Connect and engage the students, parents and attendees of science fair with an engaging presentation, or a science fair booth with faculty-specific information, hands-on activity or demonstration
- Mentor a passionate student specific to your area of expertise
- Other ideas and suggestions are welcome
If you are interested in participating in any of these opportunities, or have other ideas, contact:
Tobias Blaskovits, School District 23 Science Fair Coordinator
Suann Brown, UBC Okanagan Community Engagement Office