Six second-year college students from throughout B.C.’s Southern Interior, all destined for UBC Okanagan next year, have been awarded $5,000 each from the Irving K. Barber British Columbia Scholarship Fund.
“These scholarships are an investment in the skills and talents of students in B.C.,” said Dr. Irving K. Barber, the philanthropist for whom the fund is named. “They help students obtain their post-secondary degrees while rewarding their outstanding accomplishments, both in the classroom and in the community.”
Among this year’s 85 scholarship recipients are:
- Lara Berg of Penticton, currently studying at Camosun College
- Dallas Hermanson of Salmon Arm, currently at Okanagan College
- Suzanne Martin of Penticton, currently at Okanagan College
- Christal Murphy of Vernon, currently at Okanagan College
- Anna Ripley of Nelson, currently at Okanagan College
- Morgan Mayer of Greenwood, currently at Selkirk College
The scholarships, which acknowledge their accomplishments in the classroom and the community, are awarded annually to students who have completed two years of undergraduate education and are transferring to another degree-granting institution in B.C.
Read the Victoria Foundation media release.